The Ecosmart ECO 18 Electric Tankless Water Heater is one of the most popular medium sized tankless water heaters currently on the market. It has fared well in both professional and consumer written reviews. This on demand model is equipped with the features and technology required to deliver reliable performance for many years to come.
For those who live in cold climates, natural gas water heaters are the preferred choice; however, if you live in an environment where the water temperature is moderately warm (think 62 degrees Fahrenheit), then the ECO 18 is a model to consider. When the temperature of incoming water is around 60 degrees, this unit can heat an average of 2.5 gallons of water per minute with an output temperature of 105 degrees.
Unlike traditional water heaters, the ECO 18 does not store hot water. A temperature control knob, located on the front of the unit, enables you to simply adjust the temperature of the water one degree at a time.
- Smart design can save homeowners up to 50% on their home’s monthly electrical bills.
- Self-modulating technology enables the unit to adjust the amount of energy required based upon how much hot water is needed.
- One degree increment digital controls allow complete control over water temperature.
- Stainless steel and copper components offer durability and efficiency.
- Because it weighs only 14 pounds, the compact design of the ECO 18 allows it to be installed almost anywhere in one’s home.
- The manufacturer offers a lifetime warranty on the unit’s element, exchanger, and electronics.
- It is priced significantly less than other comparable models.
- If a homeowner installs the unit themselves, it voids EcoSmart’s lifetime warranty.
- A small number of buyers have had the unit arrive at their homes missing installation pieces.
The ECO 18 is designed to be a “whole home” model in areas where the incoming water temperature is an average of 62 degrees Fahrenheit. It will work with water of all temperatures, but the colder the incoming water is, the more it will affect the unit’s hot water output in terms of gallons per minute. At the ideal temp of 62 degrees, the ECO 18 can produce 2.5 gallons of hot water per minute with an average output temp of 105 degrees. The digital temperature controls, a popular feature of this model, allow the user to increase the temperature in one degree increments.
The EcoSmart ECO 18 is not designed for outdoor installation. It must be placed in an enclosed environment where it will not be exposed to the weather elements, rain, or other inclement weather. When it comes to installation, EcoSmart strongly encourages buyers to hire a licensed professional plumber to install it. Should a homeowner choose to install it themselves, it will void the lifetime warranty that EcoSmart offers on the model. This water heater does not require a venting system. Because it is a “whole home” unit, the water heater can be installed anywhere in a home to service the whole residence.
Reviewers have enjoyed the ECO 18 models they have purchased. Between their affordable prices and precision temperature controls, they are popular units. EcoSmart has become the go to choice for homeowners who are making the switch to tankless water heaters. At the same time, buyers must be realistic about their expectations from this model. Because this hot water heater is self-modulating, there will be a flow delay of about 30 seconds between the time the faucet is opened and the time the water beings to flow out. Although the initial cost of the ECO 18 is higher than a traditional water heater with a tank, it will provide greater energy savings over time.
Thank You For Reading
If you are looking for a straightforward tankless water heater that will get the job done with no fuss, then the EcoSmart ECO 18 is an excellent model to choose. It has enough bells and whistles to offer satisfactory customization, but is not so sophisticated that it will scare away first time buyers. With the favorable customer reviews and the lifetime warranty offered by EcoSmart, the ECO 18 is a solid investment in your home.